Content-type: text/html Set-Cookie: cookiehash=D8TIX1F9GET8DML97LCWDC1UDL31CF7Q; expires=Sun, 15 Dec 2019 00:00:00 GMT; path=/; domain=.drivemeinsane.com DMI News

DMI News

Previous Entry.. Next Entry..

Stuff

December 29, 2002 21:38

Hope everyone had a Merry Xmas. Hope everyone's going to have a good newyears. I got a dvd player for Xmas. And ONE dvd. Not that I really ever intend to use it, but people have been bugging me for months now that I need to have my tv online. So I figure I'll rig up the dvd player and vcr so you can play with it. I rarely, if ever use them, so it won't have much of an impact on me. I already purchased a universal remote for the express purpose of doing exactly this. Now its just a matter of getting a computer in range to stream the video and audio. I'll let you know.

I have come to the rather obvious conclusion that practically NOBODY reads this site. While nobody is REQUIRED to do so, I suppose I expect as a matter of common courtesy people will at least make a 60 second effort to figure something out for themselves before bothering somebody with the same questions... over and over again. The funny thing is, as long as there are pictures describing it, nobody seems to have a problem figuring it out. But plain english seems to baffle people.

So I have a few options here. I can just remove the message feature. There are plenty of ways to chat with me. It made more sense back in the day when I didn't have the chatroom available. Now it has become more a source of annoyance. And not so much for me, but for everyone else who has to endure it. It was a very convienent way for people to send me a quick message, or to answer a quick question. But it's gotten out of hand.

My next option, is to simply remove all text from the page. Turn everything into icons. People seem to have no problem figuring out pictures, but it's pretty obvious that I can't expect them to read. I don't know why the world has been forced to reduce itself to picture books and eyecandy, but that seems to be the way it's going. It wouldn't be so bad if the most useful features of web programming weren't so abused. I can't tell you how many people have popups disabled, then they complain because the chatroom link does nothing. Nobody reads the alt tags, which I have over every icon, explaining what it does.

However, catering to the lowest common denominator isn't really want I want to do either. I pride myself on the fact that there's someplace in the world that intellegent people can hang out. I keep the chatrooms clean from leetspeak and playground punks who've recently discovered new curse words. If this means that the bottom 10% of the foodchain feels left out, so be it. I should spend my efforts on making things more fun for the other 90%. Instead, I waste most of my time trying to appease those who have nothing but ill will to return.

So expect a few changes in the near future to help some of these problems. And have a happy new year.

Comments(0)