Notice: This is experimental. You might have to readd your cam later.
Don't even THINK about asking for help if you haven't read ALL of the instructions.
So you want to add your cam to the site. Here's where you start. Having your cam on the site is completely optional and you'll be able to add and remove it at will with no interaction on my part required. However, there are a number of issues you must be aware of before you continue.
1. The cam will show up on the main page as a thumbnail and anyone will be able to view it by clicking on it. They'll also be able to send you messages, viewable in the chatroom (where you'll also be able to respond via a webpage popup), capture pictures with a caption of their choice, and leave comments on the captures.
2. People WILL say rude things to you, either live or in comments. Expect it. People being excessively rude or profane will be removed from the site, but this will not stop everyone from doing it. If you're self concious, adding your cam probably isn't a good idea.
3. People will be able to capture and save pictures. There is no way to stop this. If you don't want people outside of the site itself having pictures, don't post the cam.
4. No nudity or pornography will be permitted on any cam that appears on the front page. Also no illegal drug use. Keep any captions and gestures at a PG-13 level. I couldn't care less what you do with the cam while it's not on my site, but as long as it's here, keep it relatively clean.
5. The cam will be streamed directly from your host using your bandwidth. It will help if you have broadband and at least some semidecent upstream bandwidth. 256kbps or better would be preferable, although any amount will work, it'll just be a slower update. You can set a higher refresh rate if you have limited upstream bandwidth to limit the amount of data being transferred. If you have any firewalls or NAT routers, you'll need to configure those as well to allow the cam to be accessed.
6. There is no obligation to use the cam any more than you wish. If you decide you no longer want it on the site, simply quit using it. However, it will be unreasonable to expect me to remove months worth of captured pics and comments if you suddenly decide one day that you no longer want it on here. I'll gladly remove the occasional capture if you're prefer it or the comment to not be on the site. However, if you someday feel you'll want to completely wipe yourself off the internet, please do yourself a favor now and never add yourself.
7. Your cam image is not there to serve as advertising. I don't care if you want to put your homepage as a caption, but this is not a commercial opportunity for you to spam the visitors of this site.
8. The cam entry is there to show a cam of you. It is not there to show your fishtank, the street outside your house, the cat's litterbox, or whatever happens to be playing on TV at the time. If one of these alternate views has a controllable feature, then they'd be acceptable, but I still want a cam available with you as the subject. As much as this site may be about various inanimate objects, it's about people's interfacing with them.
9. There is a privacy mode available where you can specifically specify who can see your cam, and to the general public it will appear that you're offline. While the cam is in private mode, all content restrictions are waved. Nobody other than those you specify will be able to see it, and I will assume those that you specify will be willing to view whatever content you feel fit to post. While in private mode, the label Private will appear above the cam for anyone who's allowed to watch. Cams in private mode cannot be captured and messages sent to the cam will not be displayed on the main page and will not be censored. The site administration will not take any action against someone on your private list if they harrass or offend you while your cam is in private mode. Therefore be cautious who you add to this list.
10. There are a lot of options available and some of them are not immediately obvious as to what they do. Do not blindly click on links to find out. REad the instructions first. Activating certain features if you don't support them will lead to undesireable results. For this reason, I don't make all options available for new cams. If some of the extra features are desireable, contact Restil in the chatroom and those options can be turned on for you.
Still want to join? Click here to begin.